Ciao Post-Production – Editor’s Journal

Summary

My involvement in the post-production process is editing the film.

Discussion with Director

One important discussion I had with our director was the inclusion of a phone call scene, so that I could incorporate a split screen in my editing. Our director also worked with the screenwriter in order to accomplish this because the scene would need to be altered dialogue wise. The inclusion of the split screen can be seen in the editing software screenshots with the phone call with Meredith and Lily.

Test Edits

Intercutting – cutting back and forth between two scenes

Cutting back and forth between people walking in the hallway and Merja and Adia laughing together in class in the rough edit

I had initially wanted to include the editing technique of intercutting to enhance the drama of the film. I included this in my pre production and researched it in the Jennifer Van Sjill book. In the screenshot above, you can see the intercutting I attempted in my rough edit. After consulting with the director, we concluded that it felt too chaotic and instead of adding to the drama of the film it distracted the audience and actually took away from it.

Editing Software Screenshots

SPLIT SCREEN (22)

DISSOLVE/FADE

AUDIO BRIDGE

MONTAGE

How Could I Have Improved the Film

When I exported the film, the color of the entire film was oversaturated. I ran into this issue in a previous film earlier this year. However, due to time constraints I did not have the time to research this further in order to fix this. In the future, I would make sure to figure out why this issue is occurring so that I could prevent this and the color of the film would reflect how my group thought it would look when it was first filmed.

What I Learned and Problems I Solved

In this production session, I learned the power of planning. Due to my group’s detailed plans for filming, we were able to complete filming in just one class period. We all understood that if we wanted to accomplish this film in the given timeline, we must be efficient with our time. Due to this, we found motivation in planning which made the production process go very quickly and smoothly. However, I do think the quality of our film suffered a little bit but we were much more concerned with producing a coherent film at all and therefore this felt like a success. With We did not run into very many problems during filming or otherwise. However, the one thing we struggled with was the timeline. With us finishing our IB assessments for film we began the project a little later than the “beginning students”. The due date was also in between the busiest week for IB testing where we would be missing several class periods and would be occupied outside of school with studying for the tests. To combat this issue, our group worked together during pre-production to establish our own timeline with a very specific schedule of when we would film and ensured that we would be able to complete the film before entering the busy week of testing. We sat down together and brainstormed everything we would need to film and made sure we knew exactly what was happening in each scene with a detailed list. As the editor, this was very important to me so that I would have enough time to edit the film.